Radio controlled lawn mower

J

Jakarmi

Can anyone help with advice on the parts needed for a radio-controlled lawnmower I am about to build?

- I'd like to start with DC motors: I recently saw an R/C mower at www.evatech.com where it looks like the mower is driven by power wheelchair DC motors, is this a preferred type of motor?
Also, the motors are driven by a 50A dual motor controller specifically made for R/C applications that costs $350 by itself, anyone know where there's a controller that's just as nice for less?

- What should I look for when selecting motors and controllers for this application?

- Overall I'm trying to imitate the mower in the website above (without the alternator) which looks like a modular piece of equipment made up of a robotic backend and a lawmower frontend.

Thanks for any input.

I would suggest 24 volt scooter motors (one on each side). I would suggest steering by controlling speed/direction of the motors individually, ala skid steer or tank. I couldn't see the mower at http://www.evatech.com
24v scooter motors would require ether 24volt battery, or two 12s.

Sorry about the website typo, try http://www.evatech.net

Why scooter motors vs. wheelchair motors?

When you say "controlling speed/direction of the motors individually", do you mean using a motor controller?

I've seen many kinds of motor controllers, (RC capable, single motor, dual motor, etc). I'm not too familiar with controllers in general, any specific make and model I should check out?

Thanks for your time.

N

Nathan Parrow

Hi,
I just finished building a remote controlled mower with "tank" steering, and would be happy to help you with any info that you might need. I used two wheelchair motors, and found a 2 channel motor controller at robot marketplace that has built in channel mixing. you can see some pics and video clips at www.parrowpages.com/mower/ The website is not complete yet, but there is some info there. E-mail me with any questions at [email protected]

Hi I read about your rc mower and I am in the early stage really just heavy thinking right now trying to get together information but anyway can you tell me about you rc components I am thinking about starting from scratch with rc left-hand and right-hand drive motors , rc start, any info about websites that sell drive motors etc.. Will be helpful

Ps. I want to build one like at the evatech site

Thanks, Steve

B

Belewsboy, NC

I have about 1/2 acre back yard which is quite steep. It grows weeds and has to be weed eated several times a year (a real pain). If I don't find copperheads, I find yellow jackets! I saw the video of your mower and wondered if plans are available for it?

Thanks...

M

Michael Ruise

No way, I can't believe I got such a response!!

Nathan,

I saw your website and your mower. The chassis and design looks very similar to the Evatech model, did you get some of the parts from Evatech?

My main 2 concerns are the controller (you mentioned that you got one at robot marketplace?) and the motors.

For the controller, could you tell me: the source, the specs, why you chose this controller, is it one that you programmed.

For the motors, could you tell me: the source, the specs especially top speed, why you chose these motors.

From the pictures on your site it also looks like you have an alternator.

If it's reasonable I'll follow the process that you did, I've seen several RC mowers and this is the cleanest build. Thanks for your help.

Michael Ruise
Sonar Engineer
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Naval Forces, FORACS
Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC)
West Palm Beach, FL
(561)832-8566 x7374

Any more info on this project? I figure its almost time to put the mowers away and can start working on them.

We manufacture remote controlled lawnmowers
check it out video. we can support you some parts. let me know. you can sent me msg on youtube. thnx

J

John Muehlebach

All the bits for a cheap RC mower can be found at mo-to.synthasite.com. If you search for Mo-To on eBay there is one for sale.

http://www.funmower.com

Turn key mower from $1399.

The Gardener G-18 is a two wheel drive hybrid remote control lawn mower. This product is sure to revitalize lawn mowing well into the future and is capable of handling most types of residential applications with ease. The G-18 model is our entry level model in the Gardener series but is equipped with an array of options. All Gardener series machines feature: inherited creative designs, high quality materials with cutting edge technology. When coupled together, this machine is certain to impress anyone who expects nothing but the best for their lawn. With a modern appearance, powder coat finish, solid structure, high powered hybrid engine, durable hardware and easy to operate controls – this machine will be a winner for the lawn perfectionist. These low maintenance machines come with a one year manufacturer's warranty and have been tested for over 300 hours.

The new Gardener G18 operates by remote control. All Gardener series mowers feature hybrid technology creating a fuel efficient engine that emits less pollution then a conventional gasoline engine. The mower can be shuttled from storage to the lawn via the battery engine, which saves energy and fuel consumption. The gasoline engine operates after a quick pull start. The range of this model is over one hundred meters or nearly as far as the eye can see! The mower deck is easily adjustable by a small cable lever and the deck height ranges from 1-4 inches. This easy to operate machine can move in any direction with a slight movement of the control panel and in tight situations there is a zero turn radius. Like all remote controlled machines, there is a slight learning curve but after the first several uses the operator becomes an expert. Additional available options include: mulching blade, remote control auto start and remote control speed and throttle control. Mowing your lawn will never be this easy, fun and efficient. We look forward to surpassing your lawn maintenance expectations.

Somebody b uilt one a few years ago. Google is your friend.

Walt Boyes
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

I would like to see your mower if I may. I am building one now and would like to correspond with you about some wiring problems.. I am trying to install a 24 volt alt.where can I see your mower...thanks

--mack