Advice on a DC Motor Setup

C

cmyers51

Advice on settings for a ABB/Baldor DMI 225 DC Motor with a ABB DCS800 drive. Need help with setting the speed feedback.

The OEM made the tach on the back of the motor a 0-60v 1000rpm REO.444. Using Drive Window Light 2 I try using the feedback wizard, and it errors out saying wrong polarity. But if I switch it to EMF, it will read but the speeds are off. I don't have a lot of experience in the DC realm and any help would be highly appreciated.

I do not specifically know this particular drive, but I can offer some guidelines. As you would do with any AC motor drive, the motor characteristics must be entered somewhere in the setup table (Armature voltage and current, base and max. RPMs, field voltage and its current, whether field weakening will be used or not, type of feedback). For the error you get for the tachometer polarity, you need to swap its terminals, and the polarity should be correct. If the rotation is not right, then you should swap the field or armature terminals instead and you should be in business. The tach feedback values should also be set in the parameter table, to get the motor rotate at the correct speed. Then there's speed loop tuning, but first get started with the basics outlined above. I hope this helps.

You may contact me at [email protected].
Best of luck.