Interested in automation

D

David

My name is David and I live in NC. I was wondering if I could get some advice on getting in the automation field? I will try to keep it fast and simple and if you are not interested then it is ok. I went to a community college and got a degree in electrical installation and maintence. I worked in the electrical field of residential, light commercial, and light industrial. I have a limited electrical contractors license. About 7 months ago I got a job as an outside sales rep at an electrical distributor. I have never seen any automation until now (studied about it some in school but didn't really know the real depth of it). Our store deals a little with it like start/stop buttons and that is about it. We sell cutler-hammer stuff and it is not that popular in this area. For some reason I have picked up a fasination with automation and want to learn it. I have been trying to read any books I can on any of it like some basic PLC
programming using ladder logics and some basic DC fundamental books. Would you have any suggestions on what the best thing is for me to do to get in to this field? school, get on with a contol company, or what? Any advice would help and thank you for your time.

Thanks,

David

W

William Sturm

My advice... It is a tough field right now, lots of
competition, but it will probably get better. But if
you really love it, do it anyways, just be better at
it.

Find an entry level job with a controls integrator
where you can take on some smaller projects and have
people that you can ask questions and learn from.
Basically jump in and get your feet wet.

After you have some skills, if you don't mind
travelling some, there always seems to be a demand for
field service and installation.

If you prefer to stay local, best bet would be to find
a plant and get in as a maintenance tech or even as a
controls engineer, if you are ready for your own
projects. You may work some long hours, but you'll be
home every night.

It won't be easy. The automation business has seen better times. Probably not to many companies interested in entry level hires at this time. But look for integrators in the job boards.

I've been unemployed for a year now. Slim pickin's even for experienced. At least in New England.

Rufus

F
The problem with getting your first job in automation is getting your first job in automation. From there it’s a snap. I can only think of a couple of ways to get into the field. The first, which you’re probably not interested in doing at this point, is getting a EE Degree and working as an EE as you learn the automation trade. The second, which you sound qualified for, is to get a job in electrical maintenance in industry where you can get exposure to automation control systems. Most employers will provide training to their electrical folks in PLC’s and other control devices.

If you’d like to start learning PLC programming on your own consider purchasing a small PLC to practice on. Sounds expensive but you can actually buy a PLC for about the price of tuition and books for a college semester. See AutomationDirect.com. Hook up a few lights and switches to the PLC’s I/O and pretend it’s a ice cream factory.

Dave,

My suggestion would be to go to work with a OEM. In my opinion, plant maintenace generally supports exsisting automation controls as opposed to Manufacturers that are involved with several levels of automation implementation.

B

Bob Peterson

I wonder what Integrator with half a brain would hire an entry level guy these days with already trained people readily available. The average experience level of the guys I work with exceeds 20 years. I can't imagine we would ever hire an entry level guy again. Just too expensive to train them.

Bob Peterson

J

Just another bill

Work:

You might consider trying to get a job with an integrator building panels. This would get you in the front door and introduce you to the hardware. Eventually you should be able to convince the owner to let you start on small PLC projects.

School:

My recomendation would be a engineering degree, but I am prejudiced and this is not for everyone. (Traditional engineering classes are heavy on theory and light on application.)

You might also look at your local community college: PLC classes would obviously help. Autocad would help. Any programming or database class would help. Any electronics or industrial maintenance coursework would help.

Good Luck

C

Curt Wuollet

The interesting part for me in this thread is that, from where I sit, (MOFN, MN) the only jobs I see with technical content of any sort are maintenance jobs. Almost all want some PLC skills. So, it's not as bad as all that as long as you don't mind getting greasy and dirty and bending wrenches along with it. The only computer jobs around are
Windows admins or users (which are the same thing). I havn't seen a decent electronics job for several years. Here, industrial electricians are expected to know something about PLCs and work in maintenance, so your qualifications and aspirations would get you a job fairly soon.

Regards

cww

M

marc sinclair

This is a very blinkered approach, contrast with the French, whose labour laws have reduced maximum working hours to a point where the experienced workers have to 'work smarter' forcing the employment of younger people. The mix in the workshop is refreshing, young people bring new ideas and enthusiasm, they help to keep everyone keen and most importantly they refuse to listen to oldie stations :)
There is so much more to life than profit.

--
Marc Sinclair
http://www.germainesystems.co.uk

J

Joe Jansen/TECH/HQ/KEMET/US

The same type as the companies that find an excuse to lay off their older, higher paid, engineers to hire a younger, much lower paid grad. Integrators are looking for low cost, from my memory. When I worked for integrators, I always was paid less than the maintenance crew at the locations I was installing equipment. Didn't take long to learn that being a plant engineer was much better money.

--Joe Jansen

B
At some point the glut of experienced people will subside and then it makes sense to hire entry level people, but in today's market its foolish to do so.

Bob Peterson

Here is the best way to 'get your feet wet'...to see if you REALLY would like to get into this field. Go and get yourself a job working as a maintenance technician. In doing so you will see and learn a great deal about automation. With time you will begin to understand how it all works together. You will ALSO see what does not work. Sometimes machines are built on paper, then in a lab, run a few times and are said to be ready for service. In the real world they do not work well. So, get your feet wet, work some long hours for a few years, make lots of money... :>))

C
No worry, Jiri.

The reason all those qualified people are available is that they were replaced with cheaper, inexperienced ones. And the experienced ones are having very little luck getting hired because they tend to want a living wage. This is actually a good thing. This is how industry becomes reacquainted with the fact that, MS and Vendor ads to the contrary, anyone _can't_ do it.

Regards

cww

Dear David, There are many ways of getting to where you want. First you need to seek knowledge that is useful. Since you have a job , you could invest some of your earnings in a plc demo such as Allen Bradley Micrologix and some software. You could also explore demos from other manufacturers. With this demo and some suitable user manuals , you can practise programming at your own pace. Second way will be to go for a plc training course . I am sure there are several companies offering this in NC. Look around. With this knowledge , it should be slightly easier for you to get yourself some entry level job in an automation company. It works differently for different people. Good Luck, Gabriel

Wow - its been a while since I have been on this board... I didn't realize things were in such tough shape!

We have hired 3 automation engineers in the last 6 months. Each with 15+ years experience, each making a decent living wage.

I have grown weary of hiring young college grads, investing a year or two training them while paying $40k+ per annum only to see them leave once they get up to speed in the motion/automation industry.

If you want to get a good start in the automation industry - I concur that your best bet is to get an entry level position with an integrator and work your butt off for them. Alternately you can get a job as a maintenance tech in a manufacturing plant (tough without experience). Not sure where you are relative to Wilson NC - but there are a few manufacturers (Saint Gobain Containers) that have all manner of automation equipment that is poorly maintained/understood.

If automation is where your heart is and you have a genuine knack for it... nothing is going to hold you back. Give me an uneducated person with a passion for automation over an educated person who is doing it only for a living - any day of the week!

Dave:I have worked in the Automation Field for 20+ Years.I learned how to Design Controls Systems from Plans & Spec's With MCC Powers, (Siemens).I have Been a Project Engineer for 15 years , where I Design and run Project's at the Job site. Dutys include Design, Subcontracting,Project Management,Forcasting,and of course the Financial outcome of the project. I am out of work at this time and Wish I had my Electrical Journeymens License.

Bob

Dave:I have worked in the Automation Field for 20+ Years.I learned how to Design Controls Systems from Plans & Spec's With MCC Powers, (Siemens).I have Been a Project Engineer for 15 years , where I Design and run Project's at the Job site. Dutys include Design, Subcontracting,Project Management,Forcasting,and of course the Financial outcome of the project. I am out of work at this time and Wish I had my Electrical Journeymens License.

Bob